We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Validating user input against an external data source

Questions and answers about Plum Survey

Moderators: admin, support

Quotejuggler

Validating user input against an external data source

Post by Quotejuggler »

I want to set up a survey, but only allow access after validating a user inputed ID against an external database. Can this be done and if so, can you point me in the right direction? I could periodically upload the ID numbers, but I'd prefer to do a real time.

Also, is it possible, after I validate the user, to let them press 1 for the full script version and press 2 for an abreviated "power user" version?

thank you,

Mark

support

Re: Validating user input against an external data source

Post by support »

Hi Mark,

Regarding your question, you can set up the initial page of your survey with a digits question type, prompting the user to enter their ID. On this same survey page, you would have a webservice question type or a subdialog question type to check this ID against your external database. This question can also be set up with skip logic to direct the user to the end of the survey if their ID was invalid or to the next survey page if the ID was valid.

On the next survey page, you can set up a multiple choice question type to prompt the user to press 1 to take the full script version of the survey or press 2 to take the abbreviated version of the survey. Here, you can use skip logic to direct the user to a survey page leading the user to take an abbreviated version of your survey or to a survey page leading the user to take the full script version of your survey.

Also, just for your reference, you would be able to generate separate reports for the abbreviated version and full script version of your survey by filtering the response for the multiple choice question on if the user wanted to take the full script version or abbreviated version.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Plum Support