We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Clarification of call "attempt"

Questions and answers about Plum iOn systems

Moderators: admin, support

lbattista

Clarification of call "attempt"

Post by lbattista »

Recent testing of our Plum turnkey box uncovered that if a callee_type detection is not voice, the call attempt *can* be considered failed and requeued. It does not appear to always fail when callee_type is answeringmachine.

Forgive me for not having a specific issue, but I had thought that the outbound system played the VXML script regardless of callee_type. A quick test on my developer account had the first call attempt fail when going to voicemail, then call back and leave a voicemail on the second attempt.

I looked for an explanation of call attempt rules in the API and support forums and only came across information for max_retries and retry_interval.

I am having callee_type detection turned off (for the long delay issue) but would still like to know more about the attempt rules.

1) What are the rules for failing a call attempt?
2) Does callee_type detection (being on or off) affect the rules?

Thanks for your continued great support,
Lou

support

clarification of call attempt using IVR system

Post by support »

Hi Lou,

1) If a call has "failed", then the IVR call was not connected. So, if a call was connected (whether it be a human voice or an answering machine), then the IVR call was successfully "completed".

2) Callee type detection is performed after the IVR call has been connected. Thus minutes will still accrue and your VoiceXML is still executed. The callee type detection data is submitted to your IVR script once the call is connected and is provided so that you can effectively alter your script based on the type of callee that is detected.

Turning off callee type detection would remove the delay at the start of the IVR call, where that time is used in detecting the callee_type. However, it doesn't change anything about calls being completed or calls having been failed.

Regards,
Plum Support
Last edited by support on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

lbattista

Post by lbattista »

So how many rings/time before the system fails a call *attempt*?

This is the main question I have--for the attempt, not overall call.

support

IVR system attempts a call for 45 seconds before it stops.

Post by support »

Hi,

The IVR system attempts the IVR call for 45 seconds before it stops.

Regards,
Plum Support
Last edited by support on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

lbattista

Post by lbattista »

Can this attempt timeout be extended by support? 45 seconds seems to be on the fringe of a cell phone going to voicemail.

support

contact IVR support for timeout extension

Post by support »

Yes, for onsite IVR systems, this timeout can be extended. Please send an e-mail to support@plumgroup.com with your customer ID in the subject line and this can be done for you. The customer ID would be found in your support contract with Plum. If you do not yet have a support contract with Plum, you should contact your sales representative regarding this IVR issue.

Regards,
Plum Support