We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

SOAP webservice never executes

Questions and answers about Plum iOn systems

Moderators: admin, support

kwc5811

Re: SOAP webservice never executes

Post by kwc5811 »

I PM'ed the login and survey name. I am using exactly the same code as before. (I think there may be some issue with the function call not being made as an array of strings for the two parameters as using the SOAP Tester page I have to add commas after the question and answer values to force the page to submit the parameters as arrays)

support

Post by support »

Hi,

We'd like to place test calls so we can reproduce the issue. Could you give us some test input and list step by step how to recreate the issue?

Regards,
Plum Support

kwc5811

Post by kwc5811 »

I have been using the test survey just through the web interface to test the survey. When completing the first page of the survey entering an odd number should return rejected from the SOAP query and should skip the survey over page 2 to page 3. When entering an even number the survey should proceed normally to page 2.

I have a debugging email setup with my own address to see when the SOAP function is called and when I enter a number in the answer box on page 1 and continue it always goes to page 2 and my SOAP function is never called at all. When I use the SOAP tester and enter answer values without a comma I get a error from my debugging function letting me know the parameter input was not an array, and when I put commas behind the SOAP Tester Answers I get successful responses and my debugging emails correctly show the parameters and return values.

kwc5811

Post by kwc5811 »

Any updates on resolving this issue? I think our clients are going to want to roll out a survey next week sometime.

support

Post by support »

Hi,

Our engineers are still looking into this issue. We will let you know here as soon as we have an update. Has your SOAP webservice ever worked with Plum Survey since we deployed the patch in November 2011?

Regards,
Plum Support

kwc5811

Post by kwc5811 »

Unfortunately no. We abandoned it then because we ran short of time for that survey. I was hoping it had been resolved in the interim. Do you not have any other users making SOAP calls with ASP.NET?

support

Post by support »

Hi,

Yes, we have several users who use ASP.NET to write their SOAP webservices, but to our knowledge, you are the only client currently experiencing this issue. We are still working to diagnose whether the problem is with our survey tool or your webservice. We'll continue to provide you with updates once we have more information.

Regards,
Plum Support

support

Post by support »

Hi,

We were able to track down the issue to how your web service is expecting to be called. We manually tested web service requests against both your web service and our example web service. We found that the SOAP requests to your web service needed to be a complex type instead of 2 parameters.

The survey tool utilizes the plumEval method by submitting two parameters (String[] question_texts, String[] answers). Attempting to connect to your web service in this fashion (even outside of the survey tool) were unsuccessful. We were successful in accessing your web service when we sent the request plumEval(Object { String[] question_texts, String[] answers } ).

The reason why the SOAP Tester properly worked was due to how it was implemented to integrate into any method type. The survey tool's implementation of SOAP is more rigid. We have submitted a feature request for the survey tool to make the required WSDL be less rigid, however, this fix will not be available in the near term because it will require significant QA testing ensuring that it does not impact our existing customers currently utilizing web services.

Regards,
Plum Support

kwc5811

Post by kwc5811 »

OK, that is not the best news. Do you have accessible code examples from any of your working ASP.NET clients? As you can see from my code the .NET implementation of web services is very straight forward and thus I am pretty limited as far a parameters go when establishing a web services function.