We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

SOAP webservice never executes

Questions and answers about Plum iOn systems

Moderators: admin, support

kwc5811

SOAP webservice never executes

Post by kwc5811 »

I have setup a new survey for testing the SOAP webservice integration. I created a webservice as per the instructions with a single Function plumEval(ByVal question_texts() As String, ByVal answers() As String) As String. I have tested this function using the tool provided at http://www.plumvoice.com/soaptester/ which successfully responds with accepted or rejected based on an integer answer value and the plumEval function debugging code indicates the function has been called and responded to appropriately. I created a SOAP webservice question on my first survey page as instructed with skip logic for the possible responses to appropriate pages in the survey. The page issues no warnings or errors with my wsdl URL when saving the page.

When I test the survey by web or by phone, the webservice skip logic is not applied. At the conclusion of the test survey the response data shows no values responded for the SOAP webservice question. The web server logs show requests and responses status code 200 but the debug code in the plumEval function is not executed.

Can you please indicate where I may have gone wrong and what needs to be done to initiate the survey calling the SOAP webservice and acting on the response or provide further debugging?

Please PM for survey and URL specifics.

support

Re: SOAP webservice never executes

Post by support »

Hi,

Would you be able to PM us your survey login and survey name that you are currently using to test the webservice functionality?

Regards,
Plum Support

kwc5811

Post by kwc5811 »

The login and survey name have been PM'd to you.

support

Post by support »

Hi,

So we were able to trace down the SOAP exception that was occurring during this transaction:

Code: Select all

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
When testing with some basic code, we found that to properly receive information from you we would need to submit the parameters as a single object.

$params->question_texts = array('Question 1's text.);
$params->answers = array(0011232);
$result = $soap_client->plumEval($params);
Currently the survey tool does not support this type of method signature.

Would it be possible for you to send us the code used to create the webservice/method to see if we can determine why the method requires the object parameter as opposed to two array parameters?

Regards,
Plum Support

kwc5811

Post by kwc5811 »

Here is the ASP.NET code for the webservice method:

<WebMethod()> _
    Public Function plumEval(ByVal question_texts() As String, ByVal answers() As String) As String
        If question_texts.Length > 0 And answers.Length > 0 Then
            If CInt(answers(0)) Mod 2 = 1 Then
                Return "rejected"
            Else
                Return "accepted"
            End If
        End If
        Return "error"
    End Function

support

Post by support »

Hi,

Would you be able to post the code used to create the web service itself, not just the plumEval method?

Regards,
Plum Support

kwc5811

Post by kwc5811 »

Here is the entire class file:

Imports System.Web
Imports System.Web.Services
Imports System.Web.Services.Protocols

' To allow this Web Service to be called from script, using ASP.NET AJAX, uncomment the following line.
' <System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptService()> _
<WebService(Namespace:="http://xxxx.xxxxxxxx.com/")> _
<WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo:=WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)> _
<Global.Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DesignerGenerated()> _
Public Class PlumIVR
    Inherits System.Web.Services.WebService

<WebMethod()> _
    Public Function plumEval(ByVal question_texts() As String, ByVal answers() As String) As String
        If question_texts.Length > 0 And answers.Length > 0 Then
            If CInt(answers(0)) Mod 2 = 1 Then
                Return "rejected"
            Else
                Return "accepted"
            End If
        End If
        Return "error"
    End Function

End Class

support

Post by support »

Hi,

We are still actively looking into this issue. We will be deploying a patch to the survey tool that will allow for increased compatibility with VB.NET SOAP web services. This patch should be deployed by the end of the week.

Regards,
Plum Support

kwc5811

Post by kwc5811 »

Has this update been made yet. I ran my test survey just now and do not seem to be getting the skip logic applied when my webservice returns "rejected".

support

Post by support »

Hi,

This patch is still currently in QA. Our engineers are still working to make sure the patch will work correctly with your implementation as well as being fully backwards compatible with what's currently in production. As we receive more information concerning this, we will keep you up to date.

Regards,
Plum Support

kwc5811

Post by kwc5811 »

Is there an updated ETA? We are quickly coming to a deadline on the next administration of our survey and trying to decide what to do about IVR integration.

support

Post by support »

Hi,

This patch should be going into production late tonight.

Thanks for your patience with this issue.

Regards,
Plum Support

support

Post by support »

Hi,

The patch has now* been deployed. Please let us know if you have any issues.

I apologize for the previous typo.

Regards,
Plum Support

kwc5811

Post by kwc5811 »

I am returning to this topic at the request of my client who would like to revisit getting this soap call working with their web application. Testing today has revealed that the issue still exists. Using the SOAP Tester I am able to get valid responses but when testing the survey it never calls the SOAP function. Can you review this issue and see if we can find a resolution?

support

Post by support »

Hi,

Would you be able to PM us the survey login and survey name that your client is using to experience this issue?

Also, if you are not using the same code you had posted earlier in the thread, could you repost the code you are using to create the webservice?

Regards,
Plum Support