We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

What is wrong with my mp3? "unrecoverable decoding erro

Questions and answers about Plum iOn systems

Moderators: admin, support

melsullivan

What is wrong with my mp3? "unrecoverable decoding erro

Post by melsullivan »

Hi,

I've got an mp3 file encoded to the specs on your site: 32 bits, 22.05 kHz, mono (1 channel) but it does not play - here is the error we get when we attempt to play it back over our phone system.

MadDecoder::errorCallback() - unrecoverable decoding error 0x0235 (bad main_data_begin pointer)

Can someone please tell us what is wrong with this file? I am emailing it to support@plumgroup.com.

Thanks,

Melanie Sullivan

support

IVR issue with mp3s

Post by support »

Hi,

What tool did you use to encode these mp3 files onto the IVR system?

Regards,
Plum Support
Last edited by support on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melsullivan

Post by melsullivan »

This file was recorded using Vimas Technologies MP3 recording Java applet and this tool uses LAME encoder under the hood to encode the file.

Thanks,

Melanie

support

send IVR support original file and mp3 file

Post by support »

Hi,

If you can send us the original file and the mp3 file that was encoded, we can take a look at both of them and try to reproduce this IVR error. You can e-mail these files to support@plumvoice.com with your customer ID in the subject line. The customer ID would be found in your support contract with Plum. If you do not yet have a support contract with Plum, you should contact your sales representative regarding this issue.

Regards,
Plum Support
Last edited by support on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melsullivan

Post by melsullivan »

Hi,

The Vimas application records and encodes on the fly using LAME, so there is no intermediate un-encoded file for me to send you. The application parameters include the bitrate (set to 32 kB/s) and the frequency (22,050 Hz). It records in mono, not stereo, as you can see by checking the properties of the mp3 file that gets created.

This recording app has been working without any issues for years. Now all of a sudden it doesn't? Even more confusing is that when I create an mp3 from the application through Firefox on my MacBook, it plays back just fine on your platform. The file that does not play, was created on my XP Professional system with Internet Explorer 7. The application runs on a Windows 2000 Server box, so the encoding is done in the same way on the same machine every time.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Melanie

support

IVR issue with playing back mp3 files

Post by support »

Hi,

Perhaps IE7 has a stricter format for mp3 files that will allow it to play.

I would recommend just using Firefox on your MacBook to create your mp3 files from your IVR application, since that plays the file back for you.

Regards,
Plum Support
Last edited by support on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melsullivan

Post by melsullivan »

We have customers all over north america using the application on our site to record audio...I cannot control what browser/OS they are using.

Besides, since the application resides on Windows 2000 box and regardless of client browser/OS, the encoding is always the same...why would there be any difference?

Also, I just recorded another test and was able to get a recording from IE7 on Windows XP to play over your platform, so that cannot be the cause. It seems like there is something in your decoder that just does not like this particular file...

I will email you our customer number, we do have a support contract so hopefully with your help we can get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks,

Melanie Sullivan