We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Is it possible to implement a fast forward or rewind capabil

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

tloring

Is it possible to implement a fast forward or rewind capabil

Post by tloring »

Is it possible to provide the ability, when reviewing a recording, to "jump" ahead or back by 6 second increments by pushing say, 1 for back and 2 for forward?

(I am rebuilding a system which provides for that capability specifically, and it's important that I be able to provide it here).

support

Skipping forward and back in audio on IVR system

Post by support »

There is no built in facility in VoiceXML for accomplishing this for recorded audio. There is a way that you can achieve this by implementing this at the IVR server side instead. Generally, you'll need to:
1. create an IVR script that can take two arguments - the file to be played and the time offset from the start of the file
2. encode both of those parameters into the audio src parameter
3. write the VXML logic using DTMF barge-in to jump forward or back by re-submitting to the web server to retrieve the audio with the new offset.

We've implemented this for several projects of our own, using the utility SoX and PHP. If this isn't enough to get you going, we may be able to provide more details or IVR code samples
Last edited by support on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tloring

Post by tloring »

I'd certainly like to see code samples if available for implementing a review functionality. I actually only need to be able to jump ahead 6 seconds at a time hitting the '6' key, so I guess that cuts the task in half at least for now.

I am using SoX for the conversion to wav currently. And I understand the fundamental approach you described. I'm unclear about the mechanics off retrieving the offset (not the web part, the offset into the audio).

Thanks.

support

IVR example for review

Post by support »

Begin with this IVR example:

http://www.voicexmlreview.org/Jul2003/c ... isten.html

the above url implements an IVR system similar to what you are describing, using sox. the IVR examples provided are implemented using perl, but it won't be very difficult to adapt the IVR examples to use php.

Hope this helps! :lol: