We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Integrating VXML with my ASP and DB

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

sao13

Integrating VXML with my ASP and DB

Post by sao13 »

I am trying to test out voicexml's interaction with my current ASP/SQL setup before purchasing the Plum technology. Here's my question: Is there anyway to write .vxml code that integrates with my ASP and database(sql) to actually test a simple example? In other words, I'd like to write some .vxml that submits to my asp page which then pulls a court date from my database. I want to be able to hear my asp page's <vxml> court date response to the user. I don't think I can do this just using the scratchpad, but I may be wrong. Thanks.

leftkost

asp and vxml

Post by leftkost »

Create an asp file as follows. The info is pulled from the database just as in your normal asp file, and the vxml code at the end will respond over the phone.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?> 
<vxml version="2.0"> 

<%@ Language="VBScript"%>
<%
Dim myvariable
myvariable=request("variable") 

(RUN DATABASE CONNECTION AND SQL AS YOU DO IN YOUR NORMAL ASP)

newvariable=rs(variable)
%>

<form id="main" scope="dialog">
<block>
This will respond with the <%= variable %> from the database.
<goto next = "test2.asp"/> 
</block> 
</form> 
</vxml>
This file should be saved with a .asp extension.

sao13

Haven't purchased Plum

Post by sao13 »

Does your solution work despite the fact that we haven't purchased the VoiceXML browser from Plum? I was just wanting something like a "VoiceXML Emulator" that didn't necessarily call anywhere, but maybe echoed my <vxml> through my speakers so I could see if I was connecting to the database and then back to VoiceXML correctly.

support

IVR issue

Post by support »

Sao:

I don't fully understand your question. Are you saying you would like to try callingup and listening to a sample vxml application (inbound IVR call), or are you looking for a demonstration of having the plum voice platform call a specific number (IVR outbound calling) ?

You can use the scratchpad to write vxml that will post to your asp page .
(see the post from leftkost above). His script will connect to a db, retrieve some data, and then output the page in vxml, which will then be executed by the plum IVR platform. You'll need to expand his script a little a he has ommitted some implementation specific calls such as db setup, etc.

It is not possible at this point to play the response over computer speakers unless you use a computer based phone to place the IVR call. The easiest way to try it out is to pickup a phone and dial 617-712-XXXX, where XXXX is the DNIS for that scratchpad (when you login to the hosted IVR environment you will have a list of one or more DNIS numbers to use which can be assigned to specific scratchpads or urls)

Hope this helps!!

Good response leftkost!
Last edited by support on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sao13

Clarification

Post by sao13 »

I don't need to troubleshoot VXML by itself, nor do I need to do outbound calling. I would like to test the loop of communication, starting with the vxml phone call(inbound), then the asp/hit to the database, and lastly the query results returned to vxml. I think I'm clear on how to do this once we buy the software, but is there anyway to test this now? Can I use the Developer's Scratchpad to create vxml that will "submit" to an .asp file on my server, as well as then create vxml on my server (asp page) that will then return the query results over the phone? I hope this clears things up.

sao13

?

Post by sao13 »

We are utilizing a demo # supplied by plum to try before you buy. Can we completely test with asp and database connectivity utilizing the "demo" number provided to us? In other words, return asp data to vxml thru your demo platform number?

Thanks....

J. Eric Thomas
Director of Information Technology
Office of the State Attorney
13th Judicial Circuit
Tampa, FL 33602

support

IVR sales staff demonstrate technology

Post by support »

Hi Eric:

Yes absolutely that is possible. The primary strength of the scratchpad /application interface is the fact that you can quickly generate small vxml applications that point to external resources such as remote databases and webservers to generate content and produce vxml that is interpreted by the plum voice platform.

It sounds like you are looking for a technology demonstration. One of our sales staff would be happy to provide a free demonstration of the technology, using either the scratchpad interface, or one of our custom IVR applications that the IVR engineering team has developed internally.

Call them at 800.995.7586 between normal operating hours (Monday through friday, 9am to 5pm EST)

Hope this helps!