We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

DTMF response errors

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

ej

DTMF response errors

Post by ej »

I have developed a fairly basic application that plays some information and then accepts a DTMF response to acknowledge receipt of an outbound call. We initially had problems where the application seemed to be picking up some sort of a response early on in the call connection phase such that the first thing the callee hears was "Sorry, I didn't understand you." We addressed this by setting bargein to false for our prompts and this fixed that issue, but we are now sometimes running into errors where the system is not reading the right DTMF response.

For example, the played audio is "Press NINE to acknowledge this alarm and end the call." The user presses nine, but the system takes the default error response action of playing the prompt again. The application often responds correctly, so this is not an absolute error and leads me to think this is really not a software error. Some of the experienced errors have been on cell phones, some with good signal strength, some with not so good, some of the errors have been on land lines.

Anyone else experiencing this sort of problem? Are certain DTMF tones easier for the system to distinguish than others? Are certain DTMF tones more easily confused with certain other DTMF tones? Any suggestions about how we can get a more reliable response?

Thanks,
-ej

support

change timeout properties to fix IVR issue

Post by support »

ej:
Are you certain its not a VoiceXML issue? often times when you get intermittent digit recognition, its due to the digit and/or prompt timeout settings not being long (usually interdigittimeout and timeout are the 2 properties responsible for this behavior.)
I have a feeling if you try this app on an IVR inbound dnis, you'll get the same result. Try changing the timeout properties described above and see if this fixes it.
PRM:
http://www.plumvoice.com/docs/dev/

hope this helps,

Plum Support