We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

calling a webservice from a voice xml app.

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

robbiesullivan

calling a webservice from a voice xml app.

Post by robbiesullivan »

Hello,
I'm porting a vml app from voxio to plum. The application was built around calling a webservice to get and set data in the database.

<script>
var somethingWS = Voxeo.SOAPClient.loadWSDL("http://webservice.net/public/myservice.asmx?wsdl");
var ssomeData= somethingWS.DoSomethingCool(someID);
</script>

How can I accomplish this using my plum account.
Thanks for any advice.
Rob

support

IVR platform recommends use of <data> tag

Post by support »

Hello,

The syntax Voxeo.SOAPClient.loadWSDL"http://myservice.net/public/myservice.asmx?wsdl");
is a proprietary java script extension that is not defined in the VXML spec. We do not support SOAP embedded in the VXML browser. This is in accordance with the VXML specification. As an alternative, the IVR platform recommend using the <data> tag for any XML data exchange requirements.

Regards,
Plum Support
Last edited by support on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

robbiesullivan

Post by robbiesullivan »

I guess its the calling systax I was looking for. I understand that I can use a propriatary voxio call.

I have tried:
<data name="MyWS" src="myservice.com/me.asmx?wsdl"/>

I don't receive an error at a data tag.
But when I try to access a method from the webservice I receive the following error.

errmsg TypeError: MYWS.MethodToCall is not a function line 3 linetxt tokentxt

any ideas,
thx
Rob

support

IVR link on how to use <data> tag

Post by support »

Hello,

The problem is that you are still trying to use the <data> tag for accessing your SOAP function, this is incorrect. The IVR tag, <data>, performs an HTTP POST or GET to a standard IVR application server. That IVR application server then returns an XML formatted document that is parsed by the IVR platform. The parse tree is made available in local javascript variable of your VoiceXML document via a standard ECMAScript DOM structure.

Hope this helps
Last edited by support on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

robbiesullivan

Post by robbiesullivan »

So I can't just call the webservice directly in any way. I'll have to adjust the application to post and get from an application server as a wrapper around the webserivce. Or I'll just embed the logic in the application server. Kind of a pain, but doable.

Any idea if you guys will ever support an extension that will allow straight calling of a webservice method from JS like voxio or voicegene?

Thanks,
Rob

robbiesullivan

Post by robbiesullivan »

I think i've figured out what I need to do, I'm gonna test some things and see how it goes.

thanks
Rob