We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

slow recognition times with poor recognition rates

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

billybecker

slow recognition times with poor recognition rates

Post by billybecker »

I'm currently running my voiceXML app with bevocal's hosting services.
My app does a recognition based on the characters in a vehicle license plate, so yes, it is an alphanumeric grammar. While it does do a alphanumeric recognition, it is not 100% freeform... the matches are limited to the list of license plates in my database.

Bevocal uses Nuance 8.0 speech engine, and I get 99%+ recognition rates (yes, 99 times out of 100 it works flawlessly). Callers can speak the digits very slow... or so fast that the characters sound slurred together and it still works. You can speak with a regular accent, or heavily spanish-accented and it still works.

My problem is that the only times the Plum platform (running speechworks OSR 2?) recognizes my speech is when i speak..... very.... slowly.... with...... lots..... of...... pause..... between..... each..... character.

This won't fly in the real world. I need to know if there are any properties (bevocal had the "speedvsaccuracy" property) i can tweak to improve the accuracy of the recognition.

If not, do you have any plans to make a Nuance 8.0 host available on your network?

My grammar is available at: http://www.ndap.com/process/grammar-plum.php

Feel free to check it out and let me know if i've done anything wrong. I've never created a JSGF grammar before, but from what i read it looked the most similar to the .GSL grammar i had on bevocal, and converting it was very straightforward.

If I can't resolve this recognition problem, I'm not going to be able to use Plum, and that's a shame because your developer site is very good, and your access to Canada will really help us.

Thanks,
Billy

support

IVR platform to release support for OSR 3.0 engine

Post by support »

We are currently using the Speechworks OSR 2.0 engine. We have a release that's in testing right now that will support the OSR 3.0 engine which provides much improved alphanumeric recognition. This release is slated to be rolled into production in our IVR hosting environment this summer.
Last edited by support on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billybecker

Post by billybecker »

is there any way I can test against this beta system?

support

e-mail sales contact for IVR staging system availability

Post by support »

We typically provide an IVR staging system on which to test the new IVR hosting releases before they are rolled to production. Please e-mail your sales contact and they can get in touch with you when the IVR staging system will be available later this summer.