We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Use of API to Access IVR Response (message_reference)

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

davidowright

Use of API to Access IVR Response (message_reference)

Post by davidowright »

We are using the API to upload data to generate IVR activity as a part of a campaign. We successfully generate a phone_list and the calling activity.

We then use the API to extract/retrieve the results from each IVR response.

We are trying to use the message_reference to pass a unique identifier for each IVR call and then retrieve the message_reference during extract to determine who responded to each call and match this with the resulting data.

However, our API calls to retrieve data do not pass the message_reference.

Do you know if there is a way to pass a parameter into the API upload of IVR data and then get that data back when we extract the survey results?

David Wright
Tel. 801.456.6768

support

Re: Use of API to Access IVR Response (message_reference)

Post by support »

Hi David,

Please make sure when you are generating your phone_list, you are using the proper formatting. The .TXT file should be comma-delimited lines where the first field is the phone number, the second is the message_reference string, and the third third is the call_parameters string. For example:

Code: Select all

15555555555,"Jane Doe"
15555555556,"John Smith"
"Jane Doe" would be the message_reference.

For more information on our outbound API, please check out the docs here: http://hosting.plumgroup.com/developer_ ... vguide.htm

If you are having further issues, could you please provide us examples of your phone_list and your result_url?

davidowright

Post by davidowright »

What I am trying to do is find a parameter that allows me to pass a variable into the plumvoice system and then get that data back out, along with the response data.

I need to identify who responded to a survey, beyond just using the phone number. Presumably, I could use the message_reference to pass in a name or unique identifier for a particular survey call. However, when we call the API to get the data out, can we also get the message_reference back out?

I need to get the right data back out of the system. This is the basis of my question.

David Wright

support

Post by support »

Hi David,

Which API specifically are you using to get the data out? It sounds like you are using the outbound API to queue your outbound campaign with the message_reference. Therefore, you must use the result_url parameter in the outbound API to get your outbound results (which will include the message_reference). The outbound results will not include your survey responses.

If you are using any of our other webservices, such as the survey SOAP webservice, the message_reference will not be included in these results because the the survey SOAP webservice and outbound API are two different entities. Data is not shared between them.

If you'd like unique identifiers in your survey results, we recommend including an identifying question within your survey, such as asking for an ID or a name within the survey.