We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Get phone number called

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

brent.russell

Get phone number called

Post by brent.russell »

I am trying to get the phone number that the person called... basically I am trying to get the IVR's phone number with my vxml. Is this possible?

adriannaude

Post by adriannaude »

Brent,

The variable
session.telephone.dnis
contains the number that the original caller dialed provided they did not withhold it.

Adrian

brent.russell

Post by brent.russell »

"Provided they did not withhold it"

How are they going to with hold it? it's not caller ID. I just want to get the phone number that your server is picking up on.

Is there a way they can withhold that? if so I need to be prepared for that.

thank you

support

Dialing and receiving numbers with IVR system

Post by support »

Brent,

It is not possible to withold DNIS that is the number they are dialing and we would not be able to route the IVR call to your IVR application if DNIS was not available. Adrian was probably thinking of ANI, that can be withheld on local DNIS numbers, but it is very rare for it to be missing on a direct toll-free number.

Regards,
Plum Support
Last edited by support on Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brent.russell

Post by brent.russell »

session.telephone.dnis only gives me the last 4 digits. is there anyway to get the entire number?
i.e 6172222016

thank you

support

IVR system- getting full 10 digit DNIS impossible

Post by support »

Hello,

There is no way to get the full 10 digit DNIS on the local Boston numbers this is a current limitation of the IVR trunks we are using. However, all toll-free number do receive the full 10 digit DNIS. Toll-free numbers run over separate trunk lines.

Regards,
Plum Support
Last edited by support on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmceachen

Post by bmceachen »

Hello,

I do not work for Plum Voice but I am very familiar with telephony and DNIS usage.
brent.russell
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:30 pm Post subject:

session.telephone.dnis only gives me the last 4 digits. is there anyway to get the entire number?
i.e 6172222016
DNIS stands for 'Dialed Number Identification Service'. The DNIS digits applied to a number are arbitrary and do not necessarily relate to the actual digits used in the dialed number. However, It appears as though Plum Voice has assigned DNIS to a number based on what the last four digits of the number are. For example, we own over 1,000 numbers and we assign a DNIS to those numbers based on when we received them (the first number purchase was 1000 and the last one was 2807). To identify the dialed number we have to cross reference the DNIS digits with their appropriate number.
support
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:07 pm Post subject:
Hello,

There is no way to get the full 10 digit DNIS on the local Boston numbers this is a current limitation of the trunks we are using. However, all toll-free number do receive the full 10 digit DNIS. Toll-free numbers run over separate trunk lines.
You are actually receiving the complete DNIS but you need to cross reference it to the appropriate dialed number. It sounds like you have a test account and have been assigned a local Boston number. On your main account page you should be able to see the DNIS and then you can cross reference those numbers to the appropriate dialed number using a table or various VXML statements.
-Ben

sightplan

Re: Get phone number called

Post by sightplan »

Just so that I am clear on the limitations for capturing the full DNIS value in-app:

I get that DNIS will return only the last 4 digits when dialing in via your staging DIDs in Boston, and I get that inbound TFN calls will return a full 10-digit string value. What I am curious about is whether or not the 10-digit value will be available when using production DIDs that you offer: Can you clarify this for me please?

Thanks!

Matt

support

Post by support »

Hi Matt,

All local telephone numbers in Boston will be 4 digits. All toll-free telephone numbers will be 10 digits. That's a more straight-forward approach rather than thinking about staging vs production.

Regards,
Plum Support

sightplan

Post by sightplan »

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I'd presume that you offer local DIDs outside of Boston, does he DNIS limitation apply to those numbers as well?

Matt

support

Post by support »

Hi Matt,

We primarily offer local numbers in the Boston area. We have the ability to get local numbers from other locales on a per-request basis. These local numbers would be 11 digits. The leading 1 plus the entire 10-digit number.

Regards,
Plum Support

sightplan

Post by sightplan »

Thanks man, appreciate the confirmation.