We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Invalid phone number shows as busy?

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

fkuhne

Invalid phone number shows as busy?

Post by fkuhne »

I am attempting to test the various return states of a phone number for outbound calls. I intentionally placed a call to an invalid phone number (555-555-5555). The response I got back was failed with a calletype of busy. I had expected that would return failed - information tone or failed - operator.

Could you clearly layout for me what the scenarios are that could result in each calleetype for a failed outbound call? We currently have callee type detection turned off as we don't support voicemail and wanted to save the time at the beginning of the call while it was figured out. Is it possible that that is having an effect?

support

Re: Invalid phone number shows as busy?

Post by support »

Hi,

There are 6 callee types that can be returned by the outbound system. These are voice, answeringmachine, fax, busy, noanswer, and operator. To receive the voice, answeringmachine, or fax distinctions you will need to have callee_type_detection enabled. If this is not enabled, all 3 will show up as "voice". Busy and noanswer are returned when we receive either a busy signal or nobody answers on the far-end.

The operator value may have different results depending upon the carrier the outbound call is dialed on and the telephone number that was dialed. Due to this, we cannot guarantee when an operator value would be returned by our system. For example, the test number you dialed actually returned a busy signal by the carrier instead of an operator intercept.

Regards,
Plum Support