We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Menu module has long pause after entering option

Questions and answers about Plum Fuse+

Moderators: admin, support

mka_nate

Menu module has long pause after entering option

Post by mka_nate »

I noticed that there is a long pause of several seconds after entering a valid DTMF menu option, even when "Barge In" is enabled. With a little trial and error I found that the Menu module seems to be using the application-level setting for "Final DTMF timeout". You can see this by cranking that value up from it's default of 3s to 10s. You'll have to wait 10s to navigate down the menu after typing the option digit.

I'm pretty sure the desired behavior would be to shortcut after a single digit is entered and immediately take that menu path, regardless of the "Final DTMF timeout" setting.

support

Re: Menu module has long pause after entering option

Post by support »

You should prompt your users to enter # after the input. For example, "select your option, followed by the pound sign." The # is the default terminating character, which means after you press it, that signals your input is over and the IVR will proceed to the next module immediately.

mka_nate

Post by mka_nate »

That is only realistic to ask them to type "#" when doing a variable digit prompt like "please enter your PIN number, followed by #". But if you're at the main menu of an IVR, I have never once heard an IVR say "press 1 followed by the # key for account info, press 2 followed by the # key for sales, press 3 followed by the # key for tech support...."

To further clarify why I'm certain this is a bug and not the intended behavior, do a test with the "Yes/No" prompt. It has the exact same issue of waiting several seconds after pressing 1 or 2. Furthermore, I've tested these same scenarios on your legacy Plum Fuse (flash-based) product, and they correctly short circuit without the long pause in all cases where there is a fixed number of digits to enter (i.e. menu module, or digit entry module where min/max is set to same number).

support

Post by support »

We've a deployed a fix so that yes/no and menu modules will move on after 1 second.

We have also added a feature request to our internal list to allow users to choose whether they want to use final DTMF timeout and the pound sign, or if they want the module to immediately proceed for longer inputs such as the digits or decimal module.