We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Why does my vxml application throw an error when I don't spe

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

jcanter

Why does my vxml application throw an error when I don't spe

Post by jcanter »

Is it a requirement that the <audio> tag always be filled. For example, I have an application where I only want the audio to play if there is an audio file:

Code: Select all

<audio src="some_audio.ul">
</audio>
However, this is giving errors where "some_audio.ul" doesn't exist. The only wat I can get it not to error is to put in something for the TTS engine to speak when the audio file doesn't exist.

admin
Site Admin

Re: <audio> tag bur within IVR platform

Post by admin »

No, it is not a requirement that the <audio> tag have TTS (text-to-speech)

However, as of August 4th, 2003, the Plum voice platform has a bug in it, causing a semantic error to be thrown if there is no tts content and the audio can not be played.

The workaround for this is to specify some tts text (generally you will always want tts anyway as a backup, so this is reasonable).

Expect this bug to be fixed sometime in the very near future. A response will be posted in this thread when the IVR issue has been resolved.

hope this helps...

support

A Bugfix in the IVR has been provided for the audio tag!

Post by support »

There was a bug in the IVR platform that caused <audio> tags to throw semantic errors when an audio file could not be played, and when no TTS was specified. This has bug been squashed.

here is some example IVR code that used to throw the IVR error:

Code: Select all

<audio src="non_existent_file.wav"/>
assuming the audio file mentioned above could not be played or was missing, it would throw the semantic exception.

Here is the entry directly from our bugtracking environment:

Title:Empty Audio Tag with bad file URL throws bad semantic exception
Entered by: *********
Entered by Email: *****@*****.com
Status was changed from NEW to FIXED
Resolution notes were changed to:
the fix is in PromptManager.cpp. The Queue call has a flag that indicates whether exceptions should be thrown. so in the case of a queued audio segment, no exception is ever thrown now.

NOTE: it is still a good idea to provide TTS for ALL audio tags, so that audio files that fail will fall back on text to speech, to prevent the user from hearing silence.

Sincerely,

Plum Support Staff