We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

What are some of the largest recording times?

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

robbiesullivan

What are some of the largest recording times?

Post by robbiesullivan »

Hello,
I'm troubleshooting my app and have noticed that each time I try to record more then 90 seconds of audio and submit it, the application comes back with a timeout error after a long 2 minute delay.

error 8503460176 68 [01/Sep/2006:12:09:21 -0400] 8883948123 000003;068;1157126512 Error fetching document due to Operation timed out with 0 out of -1 bytes received
error 8503460176 68 [01/Sep/2006:12:09:21 -0400] 8883948123 000003;068;1157126512 DocumentParser::FetchBuffer - could not
open URL: balh.com

exiting with error result 2

I'm wondering where the bottleneck is? Is the problem on my webserver side? If so what setting do I need to adjust. I've looked at the file size of the data being posted and had no problems posting that large a file via a regular web app on my webserver.

The webserver is iis 6.0 and the application is asp.net .

Any asistance would be great, I'm just trying to narrow down where to look for the problem.
Thanks

support

post IVR code you're using to do the recording and upload

Post by support »

Can you post a snippet of the IVR code you're using to do the recording and upload? There shouldn't be a file size limit as we have customers who regularly upload audio more than 30 minutes in length.
Last edited by support on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbiesullivan

Post by robbiesullivan »

Hello,
I've tried various things and i still can't post a recording larger then 75 seconds.

I thought I'd try rewriting my application to not post with the <data> tag and to just submit. This didn't really fix anything, although it might have solved one of my other strange problems I've been having.

Here is my current code:

Code: Select all

<form id="record_audio">
   <record name="aud" beep="true" type='audio/x-wav' dtmfterm="true"
      maxtime="120s" finalsilence="15s">
      <prompt bargein="false">
        <audio fetchhint="prefetch" expr="rec_msg"/>
      </prompt>
      <filled>
        <if cond="aud$.termchar == '*'">
          <clear/>
          <reprompt/>
       <else/>
          <assign name="myrecording" expr="aud"/>
          <goto next="#review_audio"/>
        </if>
      </filled>
      <catch event="noinput nomatch">
        <audio fetchhint="prefetch" src="../audio/infolineMain/EMPTY_REC.mp3"  />
        <reprompt />
      </catch>
   </record> 
</form>

<form id="review_audio">
  <property name="inputmodes" value="dtmf"/>
  <property name="interdigittimeout" value="1s"/>

<field name="myfield">
      <grammar type="application/x-jsgf">1</grammar>
      <prompt>
         <audio fetchhint="prefetch" expr="hear_msg"/>
         <value expr="myrecording"/>
         <audio fetchhint="prefetch" expr="rev_msg"/>
      </prompt>
    <filled>
		<audio fetchhint="prefetch" src="../audio/infolineMain/WAIT_FOR_AUD_SUBMIT.MP3"  />
		<var name="targetFile" expr="application.targetFile"/>
		<submit next="recordFromVXML.aspx" namelist="myrecording targetFile"   method='post' enctype='multipart/form-data'/> 		

<audio fetchhint="prefetch" src="../audio/infolineMain/RECORD_SUCCESS.MP3"  />
      <goto next="#recordAudioCaller" />

</filled>
    <noinput>
      <reprompt/>
    </noinput>
    <nomatch>
      <goto next="#record_audio"/>
    </nomatch>
  </field>
</form>

Now.. here's where it gets interesting, if I post in the <submit> to a full server path IE http://blah.com/vxml.recordFromXML.aspx , I can actually record a 2 minute+ recording. The trick is I can't have that full path in because it blows away my application defined variables, because I navigate back to the calling vxml.

This problem is veryvery strange and I'm not sure what to try next.

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated, I'm beating my head against a wall on this one.

support

Increase maxtime attribute of <record> tag in IVR app

Post by support »

You are currently using the "maxtime" attribute of the <record> tag. You have it set to 120 seconds which will limit your recordings to just two minutes in length. If you wish to record more than 2 minutes of audio, you should increase that number to some maximum sane limit appropriate for your IVR application.

As far as using the submit tag is concerned, if you simply wish to jump out of your current dialog, complete some task, and then return to the same context, you'll be better served using the <subdialog> tag.

We will retest the IVR code you provided below against our own web server -- though in the past we have not been able to replicate the timeouts that you described. If, in fact, it's an IVR issue with your IIS web server, we'd recommend your contacting Microsoft for further configuration assistance.
Last edited by support on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

support

PHP script worked without IVR issue

Post by support »

We just finished running some tests. Your IVR script, modified slightly from above to upload to our PHP script rather than your ASP script, worked without IVR issue. Your problem appears to be localized to your IIS web server and its configuration.

One other item to note (that we forgot to mention earlier) is that the two lines of IVR code that follow your <submit> tag will never be executed. When you call <submit> you immediately jump completely out of whichever dialog you are currently working in.
Last edited by support on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

robbiesullivan

Post by robbiesullivan »

Thanks for tips.

I had actually tried the subdialog too and the data tag as well already. I rewrote the logic last night to utilizing the submit logic just to see if it would make a difference. I'm grasping at straws I know :P.

I have tried changing connection time out and max request length settings on the iis server weeks ago. I can manually post a file there myself from a straight aspx appliction.

That said , I got think it is something with IIS or how it is managing that connection. Tonight I'm going to try a difference IIS server and an apache server as well.

I'll keep banging away at it tonight.

Do you guys have an IIS server you can test against?
thanks,
Rob

support

IVR code to help with scripting in PHP

Post by support »

Unfortunately we do not have an IIS server that you can test against. However, I do think your idea of switching to Apache (and, thus, PHP or JSP) is a very good idea.

You can find some IVR code here: http://support.plumvoice.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=15 to help you with scripting in PHP.
Last edited by support on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robbiesullivan

Post by robbiesullivan »

Whoops , a bit of a miss understanding, I wasn't asking to use one of your IIS, I have a different IIS server I'm going to try it against ;). I was just asking if you guys internal have done any testing against an iis server.

The only problem is I don't want to install apcahe my production server (though controlled by me). I could run PHP extnesion in IIS, but something tells me that will have the same problem .

Curses to IIS.
When I get this resolved i will definitly post the resolution here.